Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Ten Most Hated Reality TV Characters, Part 1 of 2

In honor of the premiere of VH1's "Tough Love" Season Two, I am presenting a list of my ten most hated reality tv characters.

10. Antonio Sabato, Jr. from VH1's "My Antonio." Reality dating shows work when you are rooting for likeable people to get together. They also work as a joke when the "prize" is Flava Flav. They don't work when the prize is allegedly likeable, but actually a nauseating joke in the form of Antonio Sabato, Jr.
Worst moment: Every time he looked into the camera and smugly announced, "And the winner...will receive...a date....with ME."

9. Sister Patterson (aka New York's mom) from VH1's "Flavor of Love" Seasons One and Two and "I Love New York" Seasons One and Two, and maybe some other New York spin-offs but who can keep track? A sure way to land on my most hated list is to trick me into liking you in the beginning, only to go completely off the rails later. Sister Patterson first appeared as a voice of reason, responding to her daughter's Stockholm Syndrome-fueled cries of "I love that man!" by cutting to the point: "That is not a man." Later, though, Sister Patterson devolved into madness, screaming obscenities at anyone in earshot, belittling her husband with enough fierceness to make Kate Gosselin cringe, and eventually coming to blows with the man himself, Flava Flav.
Worst moment: Pretending to have been diagnosed with a serious medical condition "so rare they don't have a name for it yet" in order to persuade her daughter to leave the show. It didn't work.

8. Evan Starkman, veteran of MTV's "Real World / Road Rules Challenge," currently appearing on "The Ruins." There is nothing good about Evan. He's stupid. He's a bully. He mistakes being a big guy with being a good competitor. Worst of all, I couldn't figure out what original Real World or Road Rules season he was on. He seemed to just appear out of nowhere on the challenge circuit, spewing arrogance. Sure enough, Wikipedia let me know that he was never on a real season, instead he was brought in to the challenges through the "Fresh Meat" season. Spare me.
Worst moment: As a drunk and out of control Tonya begins to attack Veronica, Wes leaps from the couch to seperate them. Evan holds Wes back, prioritizing his own ambitions in the game, which probably included the elimination of both Tonya and Veronica for fighting, over the safety of his teammates.

7. Matt Roloff from TLC's "Little People, Big World." I feel guilty writing this entry because Matt Roloff has a charming family, particularly his long-suffering wife Amy. But, upon reflection, I was forced to ask myself, who should feel more guilty? And the answer is Matt Roloff, for subjecting his family, friends, and guests to the dangerous products of his misguided ambitions. Watching the episode where his young son Jacob was nearly crushed to death by Matt's ill-advised trebuchet sent me once again to Wikipedia. I wanted to read about Matt Roloff to get a clue as to how any parent could have such terrible judgment. Then I read about Mattt's multiple DUIs. And I have nothing else to say about him.
Worst moment: Trebuchet.

6. Danielle Staub from Bravo's "The Real Housewives of New Jersey." Another good way to land on this list is to refuse to accept the consequences of your actions. Danielle, a former model, associated with members of a drug cartel, becoming an accessory to multiple drug and kidnapping charges. She was arrested. Charges against her were dropped, however, assumedly as part of a plea bargain. In Danielle-world, though, a plea bargain equals an exoneration. So don't question her judgment or her appropriateness as a babysitter -- or Danielle will accuse you of being a vicious gossip. After her arrest Danielle went on to a lead a promiscuous life, was engaged nineteen times by her own count, and had two daughters. Even her daughters have so little respect for their mother's wild lifestyle that when Danielle turns to her teen-aged daughter in frustration and asks why all the men in her life leave her, the daughter replies "they only want you for the goodies." Out of the mouth of babes.
Worst moment: "I need to have tables thrown at me because (searches desperately for a non-incriminating way to finish her own sentence), because... (searches some more) because I had a book written about me?"

2 comments:

  1. I HATE Matt from Little People Big World. HATE is too kind a word for how much I dislike him. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My household's collective knowledge of Little People, Big World is limited to commercials, yet we have somewhat routine conversations about the fact that those children spend 90% of their lives injured, getting injured, plotting ways to get injured or otherwise being encouraged to engage in behavior that promotes injury. If we can figure that out from commercials alone, you are doing something wrong and that thing is parenting.

    ReplyDelete