Friday, September 17, 2010

Flood

My parents' home flooded in the week after Labor Day. Luckily, my little sister was visiting and awoke in the wee hours to water seeping into the house's lower level. I say luckily, not for my poor sister's sake, but because she was able to alert my parents, who might not have discovered the situation until the morning.

My mom doesn't take natural disasters lying down -- not in her house! So she and my sister waded out into the front yard, to try to build a bulwark against the raging water using anything they could get their hands on: stones from the landscaping, a plastic tarp left behind by some painters, and a kitty tower.

The following exchange occurred on that dark, rainy night:

Mom: Whoa! The water is up to my knees! I'm not going any closer. You do it.
Sister: Why me?
Mom: Because you have your bathing suit on!
Mom: THESE ARE MY RUNNING CLOTHES! You thought I brought my bathing suit on this trip?
Sister: YES! I thought you put it on for the flood!

No comments:

Post a Comment