Monday, October 12, 2009

Sophisticate's Guide to Modern English Usage: Part Two

"I get all my news from the Daily Show": 1. I am a white male, age 18-25.

"...but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything:" Precise meaning depends on context, but usually implies a lack of imagination on the part of the speaker.

Examples:

"Having that surgery as a child was traumatic, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything because it made me who I am today." 1. I can't imagine a less traumatic, but equally formative life experience. Also, I am an optimist.

"Working for the U.S. government right after 9/11 was intense, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything because I learned a lot." I can't imagine anything short of a national tragedy triggering my learning. Also, I am a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment