Saturday, September 26, 2009

"Tea for Two and Two for Tea"


Yesterday I made tea sandwiches for lunch. I used thin sliced sandwich bread from the grocery store, white and whole wheat, with the crusts cut off.

Cucumber Sandwiches
I used an English cucumber, sliced as thin as possible. I lightly salted the cucumber slices. I mixed butter, cream cheese, and a sprinkle of dried mint to make the spread. Grade: A+! Light and crisp.

Smoked Salmon Sandwiches
I made these with smoked salmon, cream cheese, and a combination of freshly squeezed lemon juice and a little garlic juice. Grade: A! The lemon-garlic gave these sandwiches a certain je ne sais quoi. They missed getting an "A+" just because they were missing a certain I don't know what.

Ham and Brie Sandwiches
I made these with black forest ham, spreadable brie, and little honey Dijon mustard. Grade: B. A little boring compared to the others.

Lemon Cake
A few days before, per my friend [Nickname Needed]'s* suggestion, I made a lemon glaze cake. My friend gave me a recipe from her mom's repertoire. I modified the cake recipe to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand and switched from a lemon glaze to a lemon icing when half of my cake stayed stuck in the bunt pan. The results were delicious! Thank you [Nickname Needed]!


* Nickname ideas: Notre Dame Gal, the Muppet, Dr. Teeth, Liz Lemon -- any other suggestions welcome. Online nickname generators are no good.

(Image reproduced WITH PERMISSION from The Boyfriend, food photographer extraordinaire).

2 comments:

  1. Those sandwiches sound delicious, and, if I may say so, not too dissimilar from those I had the pleasure of enjoying at The Ritz last weekend!

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The missing ingredient in the salmon might be watercress. You could try to perk up the ham using a herb mayonaise (or cream cheese)with a dash of horseradish.

    Sav-Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete